Leave a comment

Tax Identity Theft – Continued

Your tax return will be rejected for Electronic Filing if someone has used your or your spouses Social Security Number on a return that has already been filed and accepted by the IRS.

I have just spent the last hour this morning dealing with just this situation.  It is happening all across the country and the IRS has not been able to solve this problem.

In our previous post, we explained what to do if you get a letter,  Form 5071C, from the IRS about potential problems the IRS knows about with your return.

In this case, the IRS is not yet aware of the fraudulent activity.

Here is what you should do if you are affected:

  • Call your CPA
  • Complete Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit
  • Attach a copy of Form 14039 with your Paper Return
  • Mail to the IRS
  • Get a Power of Attorney signed to authorize your CPA to receive communications on this matter.

This is a long process to settle this issue.  If you were expecting a refund, it could easily be six months to a year before this is processed.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: